El Paso has been ranked the safest large city in the U. for four consecutive years The El Paso region has had human settlement for thousands of years, as evidenced by Folsom points from hunter-gatherers found at Hueco Tanks.
The evidence suggests 10,000 to 12,000 years of human habitation.
Further west, a settlement on Coons' Rancho called Franklin became the nucleus of the future El Paso, Texas.
A year later, pioneer Anson Mills completed his plan of the town, calling it El Paso.
El Paso County was established in March 1850, with San Elizario as the first county seat.El Paso del Norte (present-day Ciudad Juárez) was founded on the south bank of the Río Bravo del Norte (Rio Grande), in 1659 by Fray Garcia de San Francisco.In 1680, the small village of El Paso became the temporary base for Spanish governance of the territory of New Mexico as a result of the Pueblo Revolt, until 1692 when Santa Fe was reconquered and once again became the capital.However, the various communities never totalled more than several hundred residents with Hispanics and Americans holding an equal percentage of the population.During the Civil War, a Confederate presence was in the area until it was captured by the Union California Column in 1862.
With the arrival of the Southern Pacific, Texas and Pacific and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railroads in 1881, the population boomed to 10,000 by the 1890 census, with many Anglo-Americans, recent immigrants, old Hispanic settlers, and recent arrivals from Mexico. Large numbers of clerics, intellectuals, and businessmen took refuge in the city, particularly between 19.